Sunday, July 1, 2012

July 1st...

Protester at the HKSAR Protest

 Back in 1997 Hong Kong was handed back to China. 15 years later HK still celebrate becoming a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China with a public holiday and an impressive firework display on the harbour. What I wasn't aware of (I have been here for almost 5years) is that on the 1st July every year since the handover there has been protests against it. Today in the muggy weather I took my camera down to the centre of the protests in Causeway Bay and took a few snaps. It was quite a sight to behold, something I wasn't prepared for. There was literally thousands of people slowly marching through the streets between trams to voice their dislike of the HKSAR. One gentleman I spoke to told me that every year over half a million take to the streets to protest against the corruption. I was proud to witness this and support it...I joined the crowds for part of the way...there may have been some barrier jumping to get out. It was hot in there!



Drumming as a form of Protest outside the Regal Hotel, Causeway Bay


Stationary Trams amongst protestors

Quite a lot of excitement for a Sunday afternoon.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

vicx

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment