Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Island Life...



It has become very apparent to me in my 4 years as expat in HK that even the most outlying of the islands are still near to land. What I didn't expect was that an island where no vehicles were permitted (except emergency)  there would be a Wellcome supermarket. (No 7 Eleven though, too remote for that).
This was a discovery I made when I reached Peng Chau a mere 30minutes or so from Central by ferry. It was just as the boredom of HK Island was getting too much that I decided to jump aboard to Peng Chau with the hopes of an adventure.
Thankfully I wasn't disappointed. The island seemed to be inhabited by mostly the elderly who sat along the shoreline, people watching or playing Mahjong. It was really quite idyllic. The island's main industry had once been in the refining of lime and some ruins of lime kilns still remain. Now, I could've sneaked inside, but the return ferry was due and I didn't want to miss it. Absolutely nothing to do with the howling dogs and creaking trees...






Lime Kiln Building

Lime Kiln Building





One thing did strike me as odd though, there seemed to be quite a few boats on dry land...are they trying to tell us something?

No comments:

Post a Comment